The incumbent must be knowledgeable of the uses of equipment specific to the area of employment. This position is responsible to annually demonstrate proficiency in body mechanics, fire safety, infection control, patient safety, BLS, and hazardous materials.
Decisions referred to the supervisor or RN in charge include: Information to and orders from the physician, administration of medications and IV’s, formulation of the patient care plan, the performance of nursing procedures and resolution of any unusual circumstances not included in current policies and procedures or standards of care.
Challenges of the position include: prioritizing the responsibilities of equipment/supply maintenance and organization, patient care, unit safety and general upkeep. This position organizes and prioritizes the following daily work assignments:
1. Provide comfort measures, toileting, personal hygiene, mobility and safety interventions for patients, which promotes the return to wellness.
2. Take and record vital signs, change simple un-sterile dressings, assist in set up for procedures, collect ordered specimens, and assist with admits and transfers. Reports any unusual findings to professional nursing staff.
3. Serve meals, feed patients as necessary and record intake and output.
4. Maintain a clean, safe, orderly environment for patients and staff including proper storage of unused equipment and emptying of linen hampers, and properly handling and stocking of non-controlled medications.
5. Maintain adequate supplies and functional equipment to ensure optimal and cost effective patient care, including expiration dates on sterilized equipment.
6. Monitor basic EKG rhythms reporting changes and abnormalities to the RN.
7. Perform relief unit clerk/monitor tech (USR) duties as needed.
8. When certified to do so, may perform twelve-lead EKGs.
The incumbent must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care based on physical, motor/sensory, psychosocial, and safety appropriate to the neonatal, infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient population and meet the standards of quality as measure by the department age specific competency standards. This position also provides personal hygiene, mobility, safety, and comfort for patients.
This position does provide patient care.