Citrus Black Bean Quinoa Salad
August 11, 2021
Looking for the most delicious plant-based, protein-rich salad to add to your recipe repertoire? Look no further.
We asked our registered dietitian, Caitlin Bus, with Renown Healthy Heart Program for the one recipe that all her class participants rave about.
Caitlin’s popular recipe offers a bounty of fiber and protein. This dish is a showstopper because quinoa is a healthy grain. A cup contains 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, compared to 4 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fiber in a cup of white rice. With the perfect amount of citrus flavor combined with corn, bell pepper, and beans this dietitian approved quinoa salad will be a staple for all occasions. Enjoy!
Citrus Black Bean Quinoa Salad - A Healthy Plant-Based Side Dish
- Course: Gluten-Free, Heart Health, Salads, Side Dish
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian
- Servings 6 People
- Prep Time 10 Minutes
- Cook Time 20 Minutes
• 1 cup quinoa, dry
• 2 large navel oranges, cut into segments
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 cup canned black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 cup canned corn kernels, no salt added, drained
• 1/3 cup chopped red onion
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
FOR THE ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• Zest of 1 orange
- In a large saucepan add 2 cups of water to one cup of dry quinoa. Cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the vinaigrette by whisking together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, and orange zest set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, oranges, bell pepper, black beans, corn, onion and cilantro. Pour the vinaigrette on top of these items and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Total Fat 11g
Saturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 33g
Dietary fiber 5g
The Art of Being BethBeth Macmillan is a work of art in her own right. This Sterling Silver Club featured member is also a one-time professional dancer who now takes center stage as the passionate leader of Artown, northern Nevada’s colorful and wonderfully...Read More
Bruschetta Chicken BakeBruschetta Chicken Bake is quick, affordable, and super easy to prepare on a busy schedule. The best part is that you don’t even have to pre-cook the chicken! Instead, serve this meal with a bagged salad and a crusty loaf of bread, and...Read More