Get Spicy! Try This Easy Heart-Healthy Vegan Paella
February 22, 2017
Enjoy the heartiness of traditional paella without any added salt or meat. This recipe is also low in fat, making it a good heart-healthy choice for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
Easy Vegan Paella
- Course: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- Servings 4 one-cup servings
- Cook Time 45 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons fresh garlic minced
- 1 large carrot sliced thin
- 2 15 ounce cans artichoke hearts in water drained
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 whole yellow squash diced
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1-2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth enough to cover rice
- 8-12 saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Gently spray nonstick cooking spray onto heated nonstick pan over medium heat on stove top. Add onion, peppers, carrots and garlic and cook just until lightly browned, about 3-5 min.
- Add artichoke hearts and tomatoes. Continue to cook on medium heat until tomatoes begin to brown.
- Stir in brown rice, yellow squash, peas and asparagus. Add just enough vegetable broth to cover the rice. Lower heat to medium-low, add saffron, paprika, bay leaves, pepper and crushed red pepper. Let simmer about 30 min.
- Stir in freshly chopped parsley just before you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
Delicious Black Bean TostadasResearch shows that plant-based diets can help manage — and in some cases aid — in the prevention of many chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and even cancer. If you’re looking to adopt a healthier lifestyle, try...Read More
Make Your Own Trail Mix: 4 Quick and Easy RecipesCraving a snack with crunch, sweet flavor and a powerful nutritious punch? These healthy, homemade variants of this make-it-and-take-it super snack are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and your healthy lifestyle. Who says healthy snacks...Read More