OverviewIf you have an emergency, call 911. The Children’s ER at Renown Children’s Hospital in Reno is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. With pediatric specialists, child-sized equipment and family-centered care, it’s the first and only facility of its kind in Reno-Tahoe.
When to visit the Emergency Room (ER)
- Allergic reactions
- Broken bones
- Skin infections
- Venomous stings and bites
- Asthma attacks
- Choking or poisoning
- Fainting, dizziness and confusion
- Head injuries
- Severe bleeding
- Difficulty breathing
- Heart attack
- Severe headache
- Eye injuries
- Severe pain
- Baby under three months old with a temperature higher than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit
When to visit Urgent CarePlease visit an Urgent Care location for muscle strain or sprain, minor cut or burn, minor rash or infection, sore throat, fever or cold symptoms.
Children's ER Care Team
Pediatric Emergency Physicians
Dr. Joseph Gassen is the region's first pediatric emergency doctor. He leads the Children's Hospital's team of specialized pediatric staff in providing care tailored specifically to kids. Dr. Gassen is board-certified in pediatric medicine, specializing in pediatric head injury/trauma. In addition, Dr. Gassen has taught at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNSOM) in an adjunct faculty position. He received several honors, including Pediatric Attending of the Year, Outstanding Hospitalist, and Educator of the Year.
NursesOur pediatric nurses are certified in advanced pediatric emergency care providing your child the highest level of support — around the clock. Your child's condition and treatment options will be thoroughly discussed with you, keeping you involved and informed. The fun atmosphere and vibrant colors help decrease the anxiety that accompanies traumatic emergency situations, making children feel more comfortable during their stay.
Child Life SpecialistsTreating children goes far beyond addressing the physical symptoms of an injury or illness. Young patients often experience fear and anxiety, and we believe that recovery is faster when children receive emotional support in addition to their treatment. That support includes taking care of the family by answering questions and addressing concerns. The Child Life Team will assist in your child's care by:
- Providing developmentally appropriate information abut medical procedures and events
- Providing play and coping opportunities
- Preparing for same-day surgery
Insurance Types Accepted
- Northern Nevada Health Network (terminated June 1, 2021)
- U.A. Local 350 Health, Welfare & Vacation Trust Fund (Plumbers/Pipefitters)
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield*
- Nevada Health Care Inc.
- Senior Care Plus
- Custom Ink Group Health Plan
- Electrical Workers Health & Welfare Plan for Northern Nevada
- Northern Nevada Operating Engineers Health & Welfare Trust Fund
- TRICARE - Health Net Federal Services
- Northern Nevada Laborers Health & Welfare Trust Fund
- Hometown Health
- United HealthCare*
* Medicare Advantage not accepted